The Thorndike Mill is located in the Pioneer Valley, approximately 1.5 miles off of the I-90 in the Village of Thorndike. The Mill complex and power generation facilities were acquired by Thorndike Energy, LLC in February 2013.

The Mill is currently generating approximately 800 kW of hydroelectric power. The site is completely powered by this renewable energy generation source with excess power exported to the local community. The buildings are in various states of renovation with the overall goal of revitalizing the facility to benefit the local community.

 

The Stone Mill

The Stone Mill

Generator #1

Generator #1

Sixth Floor, Stone Mill

Sixth Floor, Stone Mill

Empowering the Ware River Valley for Centuries

Thorndike Mill, ca. 1910

Thorndike Mill, ca. 1910

 

Waterpower has been harnessed and goods manufactured at the site of the Thorndike Mill for almost 300 years. A grist Mill was put in place in 1736, a fulling mill in 1797, and a cotton manufacturing facility in 1836. The complex constructed in 1836 was the first of the buildings that remain on-site today and focused primarily on granite block construction. This building is present today and is located in the heart of the mill complex.

In 1736 a grist mill was about a fourth of a mile below what is now known as the lower privilege at Thorndike. With the exception of a mill located in Ware Village, this was the first mill erected in what was known as the elbow tract along the Ware River. In 1797 a dam was built at what is known as the upper privilege, just below the sharp bend in the stream and a grist mill was erected on the north side of the River.

In 1836, the Thorndike Company was incorporated for the purposes of manufacturing cotton, woolen and silk goods. The first dam was put in on the lower privilege in 1837 and the No. 1 mill was built that same year. The mill was 175 ft by 50 ft and 6 stories high. Power was obtained from two breast wheels. A turbine wheel was substituted for the breast wheels in 1862.  The first product was plain white goods, shirtings and sheeting with a total number of looms at 232. A turbine was substituted for the breast wheels in 1862 and a new dam on this privilege was built in 1868. The new part of the No. 1 mill was started in 1881 and a dye house built when the product was changed to colored goods. In 1884 there were in operation 728 looms and 32,336 spindles with a total of 600 employees.

The mill complex has exchanged hands several times over the last 100 years. Most recently, it was known as Cascades Diamond and was a manufacturing facility for egg cartons and related products.

All of the buildings located within the complex are original construction added over the facility’s long history. The existing dams remain in place and hydropower power is generated with turbines just as it was in 1868.

 

 

13 Buildings, 4 Generators, 2 Dams, and a Dance Hall

The Thorndike Mill complex has a variety of utilities suitable for light or heavy manufacturing as well as some retail industries including:

·       On-site renewable energy generation

·       High pressure natural gas

·       Waste water treatment plant

·       Water rights

·       High speed internet

·       Electrical distribution capacity of 23KV

Additional attributes include:

·       1.5 mile long river walk between Thorndike Mill’s upper and lower hydropower projects

·       Close proximity to I-90

·       Close proximity to railroad switchyard

We are open to many ideas you may have to use this space, don’t hesitate to let us know what your needs are.

 

A 500,000 Square Foot Canvas

 

Thorndike Mill offers office, retail, studio and storage space. In addition we can accommodate both light and heavy manufacturing. Thorndike Mill is a green-net zero energy facility with on-site renewable energy generation. Our space features warm exposed brick and granite, natural lighting, wood flooring and the potential for custom design.

Lima03.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg


 

Thorndike Mill Produces 3 Million Kilowatt Hours of Clean, Renewable Energy annually.

 

The Ware River powers our 4 generators to produce a significant amount of renewable power for our clients and the grid.

Generator #1

Generator #1

Switch Gear

Switch Gear